() vs NIL

Howdy!
	I am strongly in favor of proposal #2, () should be the
representation of the empty list and falsehood.  The symbol NIL would
be permanently bound to () for compatibility purposes.  Any reasonable
Maclisp code would still work fine wrt. this change.  Certainly people
converting Maclisp code have much more dramatic changes to deal with,
like forward slash turning into backward slash (/ => \).  Unless
someone can come up with some reasonable code which would break with
this change, I would claim that compatibility is not an issue here,
and so we should go with what seems to me as a better way to represent
the empty list and false.  Is there any reason why people are against
this, aside from inertia?