Date: Fri, 22 Jun 1984 13:32:00 -0000
From: HAUTIN@RUTGERS.ARPA
Subject: common lisp
To: hedrick@RUTGERS.ARPA
cc: hautin@RUTGERS.ARPA
Translated-by: hedrick@RUTGERS.ARPA

Hello,

I would like to ask some questions about Common Lisp.

1) How is your project going?
	Does your compiler work yet?
	Will there be DEC support? (DEC keeps pushing back availability
		for VAX Common Lisp.)

2) What will be the impact of Common Lisp on other American research
	groups, for example Yale, Berkeley, Xerox, and BBN?

3) We here at CNET would like to standardize on a Lisp for
	    VAX 11/780
	    IBM 3083 with VM/CMS and/or UNIX/UTS
	    SM90 UNIX/68000 (This is a multi-processor machine
			     developed by CNET)

4) At the moment we use NIL from MIT on the VAX.  We are generally quite
pleased with it.
   For IBM we don't have anything
   For the SM90 we have LELISP from INRIA, but it has a few problems
	(separate compilation, an enviornment that is not as good as
	NIL's)

5) Would it be possible to get a Common Lisp compiler that we could port
to these machines?  or if not, at least a compiler that we could look at
that is based on the Common Lisp specification?

I would be very grateful if you could help us with these various problems.

Do you know of a bboard about Smalltalk?  At the University of Brest a
group has implemented Smalltalk for our SM90 system.  They would be
quite interested in comparing their implementation with others.  Their
implementation currently works.  They are now working on performance
improvements.

Thank you,
F Hautin
-------