1.0e+6 vs 1.0E+6, more food for thought

    Date: Wednesday, 22 February 1984, 17:22-EST
    From: Kent M Pitman <kmp%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>

    In Release 4.5 on PA Lisp Machine Avatar:

    It would be nice if there were an advertised switch variable
    controlling whether floating point numbers printed with the
    "e" in complemented case. In particular, we use the Lisp floating
    point number printer to display floating point numbers in the
    PL/1 component of our system and since PL/1 is, in most
    implementations, case sensitive, we'd prefer in that context
    to see the E in the same case as the rest of the code. Is this
    reasonable or should we just use ~ ?

NIL had been printing floating point exponents in lower case by default,
but i changed it back to upper case because most people got confused by
long floats with the lower case "l" exponent marker embedded in the output.
(I haven't done the common-lisp printing stuff yet.)  Anyone else
out there in CL land have this experience, or suggestions?