character names

I could not find the answers to these questions in the Excelsior edition: In
which package do the character name symbols returned by the function CHAR-NAME
reside?  [I would guess the Lisp package.]  How does the function NAME-CHAR
compare its argument to the known character-name symbols?  Does it use EQ or
does it examine the print-name and do something fancy like #\ (treat a single
character print-name case-sensitively, but treat a longer print-name
case-insensitively).  [I would guess the latter.]
-------