(defmacro foo (&whole w) ...)

    Date: Mon, 3 Sep 1984  09:40 EDT
    From: Scott E. Fahlman <Fahlman at CMU-CS-C.ARPA>
    Well, I guess what it boils down to for me is that in 95% of the cases
    where there is an &WHOLE in a macro, that's all there is, and it's a
    pain to have to write an explicit &REST argument when you could just
    take the cdr of the &WHOLE arg....

I don't buy any argument that says we have to make certain things
impossible for users to do just because you find it a pain to have to write
"&REST IGNORE) (DECLARE (IGNORE IGNORE))" twice a year.

Excuse me for forgetting the "(DECLARE (IGNORE IGNORE))" before.  If I had
been able to have my way on that issue, you wouldn't ever have to write
that.

I don't go for this &FIRST idea either.  I don't like introducing yet more
silly &keywords when we could render &FIRST next to useless by simply
defining &WHOLE not to gratuitously disable an error check.