Misfeature: macros expanding into declarations

    I think both of your examples are better handled by other
mechanisms that already exist.

    In you (declare (special ...)) example, I suspect that making the
variables globally special would work better.  The only time it
wouldn't work was if you were actually binding the variables, and
sometimes bound them specially and sometimes not.  I doubt that anyone
does this, and if they do, it should probably be glaringly obvious.

As for the second example, I suggest:
  (defun %eq-seconds-p (list-1 list-2)
    #-debugging-p
    (declare (inline car cdr eq)))
    (eq (cadr list-1) (cadr list-2)))

    Are these samples of real code, or are they just contrived examples?

  Rob