[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Query (FILE-LENGTH in particular) of file by name when open
- To: REM@MIT-MC.ARPA
- Subject: Query (FILE-LENGTH in particular) of file by name when open
- From: Rob MacLachlan <RAM@CMU-CS-C.ARPA>
- Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1985 01:30:00 -0000
- Cc: common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA
- In-reply-to: Msg of 1985 Mar 20 02:44:29 PST (=GMT-8hr) from Robert Elton Maas <REM at IMSSS.SU.EDU>
I don't think we can require it to signal an error, since some
operating systems don't provide any way to tell if a file is open.
In Spice, for example, there is no open call, so the question isn't
even meaningful. I think that all we can say is that it is an error,
and implementations are encouraged to detect it, or at least not
delete all you files and crash the machine.