Macros -> declarations

Now there's an idea: flush local SPECIAL declarations altogether,
keeping only global SPECIAL proclamations.  I'll have to think about
this awhile to see if I really believe that we can do without these
declarations, but it is certainly a very attractive suggestion at first
glance.  Can anyone think of a really important use for such
declarations?

I don't understand Moon's comment that local SPECIAL declarations have
mostly been used to simulate what FLET does better.  Can you elaborate a
bit?

As Moon points out, even with this change we would still need PARSE-BODY
for macro writers, but it would sure make life easier for the
interpreter, since the other declarations can all be ignored unless
you're doing tense error-checking.

-- Scott