Adjusting displaced arrays.

Erf!  I certainly should have objected to the incredible hair needed
to implement adjustable arrays, particularly those which are displaced,
back when we specified them.  However, I'd like to object now.

I'd like to see a list of the uses people make of displaced and
adjustable arrays.  Maybe there are only two or three real features
that people use, and we could restrict ourselves to those.  I looked
around here at DEC, and found exactly two uses:

1.  Make an array bigger.  Obviously this could be done with MAKE-ARRAY
    and REPLACE.

2.  Linearize a multidimensional array so that row-major references
    can be done.  This is useful, but an AREF-ROW-MAJOR function could
    probably do it more efficiently.

It seems to me that any set of rules that require AREF to iterate to
find the data ought to be simplified.  So much for inline code.

- Paul