Public relations: data so far

I have collated the data given to me so far about Common Lisp
implementations and have put it into a more-or-less standardized format.
The data appears at the end of this message.  Some of the information
was so incomplete that I could not include it here (though that same
information was useful in giving me leads to chase down further).

Implementations that I believe to exist in some form but that are not
given below, and which I would like to have data on: DEC VAX LISP; Data
General; Texas Instruments for Explorer; Intermetrics for IBM 370;
Symbolics; LMI; Franz, Inc., for machines other than Tektronix; Gold
Hill for IBM PC; MIT NIL for VAX.  Please send data if you can!

Thanks to all who have responded.  Can you please check my summaries
for accuracy and completeness?

Some respondents sent rather long descriptions that are very interesting
but won't fit on a slide.  I would be happy to redistribute these long
for the original senders to do so if they wish.  (One or two messages
contained some data that might be sensitive in the near future, and so I
don't want to redistribute the messages wholesale without permission.)

--Guy

The data given in my talk will be preceded by a notice such
as the following:

The following Common Lisp implementation data is
provided for purposes of information only.  It is
accurate and complete to the best of my knowledge,
but I (Guy Steele) cannot guarantee that it is
correct.  I do not speak for or represent the
implementors and vendors in any way.  If you wish
further information, please contact the vendors at
the addresses given.
[I realize that the formatting is ugly.  I am going to fix it up using
TeX or something.]

Name: Portable Common Lisp Subset (PCLS, ``pickles'')
Supported by: University of Utah
Hardware and operating system: Sun, Apollo, HP, Vax/VMS, Vax/Unix, Dec-20, IBM-370/CMS, Cray, Gould
Availability: Spring 1986
Full language or subset: subset
Missing features: rational and complex numbers, characters, closures.
Remarks: PCLS is a subset of Common Lisp that will run in any PSL implementation.
Contact:
Prof. Robert R. Kessler
3160 M.E.B.
Department of Computer Science
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah   84112
USA

Name: Gould Common Lisp
Supported by: Gould Electronics, Computer Systems Division
Hardware and operating system: Gould Powernode 9000 and 6000 series with UTX-32 (UNIX 4.2BSD with System V enhancements)
Availability: 1986
Full language or subset: full
Remarks: Ability to call C and Fortran functions from within Lisp.
Contact:
International Sales and Marketing
Gould Computer Systems Division
6901 W. Sunrise Blvd.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida  33313
USA

Name: Hewlett Packard Development Environment for Common Lisp
Supported by: Hewlett Packard, Fort Collins Systems Division
Hardware and operating system: HP 9000 models 310 (68010-based) and 320 (68020-based) with HP-UX (UNIX System V plus Berkeley enhancements)
Availability: January 1986
Full language or subset: full
Remarks: EMACS-like editor with browsers.  Support for object-oriented programming.
Not based on CMU implementation.
Contact:
Mike Bacco, AI Products Manager (marketing) or Roger Ison, Project Manager (technical)
Ft. Collins Systems Division
Hewlett Packard Company
Ft. Collins, Colorado  80525
USA
(303) 226-3800

Name: TekCommonLisp
Implemented by:  Tektronix, Inc., in conjunction with Franz, Inc.
Supported by: Tektronix, Inc.
Hardware and operating system: Tektronix 4404 (68010-based), 4405, 4406 (68020-based)
Availability: First quarter 1986
Full language or subset: full
Remarks: Flavors, calls to functions in other programming languages, Lisp structure editor, and other utilities.
Contact:
Mike Taylor
Marketing Manager
Artificial Intelligence Machines Group
Tektronix Inc.
PO Box 1000, MS 60-405
Wilsonville, Oregon  97070
USA
(503) 685-2942

Franz, Inc.
1141 Harbor Bay Parkway,
Alameda, California  94501
USA
(415) 769-5656.

Name: ETI Lisp (formerly called Spice Lisp)
Implemented by: Carnegie-Mellon University
Supported by: Expert Technologies, Inc.
Hardware and operating system: PERQ with Accent version S6 (release 2)
Availability: now
Full language or subset: subset
Missing features: complex numbers
Remarks: Flavors, remote process spawning, remote procedure calls, HEMLOCK (EMACS-like editor).
Contact:
Joseph R. Ginder
Expert Technologies, Inc.
461 Melwood Avenue
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  15213
USA

For the UK and Europe:
Roger Vinnecombe
Advent, Ltd.
12 The Business Centre
Molley Millars Lane
Wokingham, Berkshire
RG11 2RT
ENGLAND

Name: Sun Common Lisp
Implemented by: Lucid, Inc.
Supported by: Sun
Hardware and operating system: Sun workstation (68xxx-based) with UNIX
Availability: December 1985 (in USA)
Full language or subset: full
Remarks: Calls to functions in other programming languages.
By August 1986 are expected editor, windows, object-oriented programming.
Contact:
???

Name: Apollo Common Lisp
Implemented by: Lucid, Inc.
Supported by: Apollo
Hardware and operating system: Apollo workstation (68xxx-based) with Aegis and DomainIX
Availability: January 1986 (in USA)
Full language or subset: full
Remarks: Calls to functions in other programming languages.
By August 1986 are expected editor, windows, object-oriented programming.
Contact:
???

Name: Prime Common Lisp
Implemented by: Lucid, Inc.
Supported by: Prime
Hardware and operating system: Prime 50 series with Primos (IX mode)
Availability: to be determined
Full language or subset: full
Remarks: Calls to functions in other programming languages.
By August 1986 are expected editor, object-oriented programming.
Contact:
???

Name: Symbolics Cross Compiler for Sun and Apollo
Implemented by: Lucid, Inc.
Supported by: Symbolics, Inc.
Hardware and operating system: Symbolics 3600
Availability: March 1986
Full language or subset: full
Contact:
???

Name: T
Implemented by: Yale University
Supported by: unsupported
Hardware and operating system: Apollo (68000-based), VAX with UNIX, VAX with VMS
Availability: now
Full language or subset: incompatible subset
Missing features: DEFUN, FUNCTION, arrays, sequences, packages, and others
No plans to implement missing features.
Remarks: T is more closely related to SCHEME than to Common Lisp.
Features include tail recursion, single function/variable namespace, lexical environments
used instead of packages, LAMBDA special form, NIL is different from ().
Contact:
Jim Philbin
Yale University
New Haven, Connecticut  06520