LET-IF

    Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1985  14:41 EST
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

	Is there a good reason why we don't have a ZetaLisp style LET-IF special form?
	Using PROGV to bind an item based on some trivial condition seems like
	overkill to me.

    What would you use this for?  Why not just rebind the variable to its
    old value and then conditionally change it?  Common Lisp is big enough
    without adding special forms that would only be used only very rarely.

What if the variable is unbound?

Not that I am advocating adding this to Common Lisp.  There are things
that I firmly believe belong in Symbolics Common Lisp and equally firmly
believe do not belong in the Common Lisp language standard, which as you
say is quite large already.