keywords

    Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1985  22:53 EST
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    It is certainly terrible style to use a keyword as the name of a
    function or to give it any properties.  The book doesn't seem to say
    whether "it is an error" to do either of these things.  I think it
    should be an error.  On the other hand, I don't know of any Common Lisp
    that goes to the trouble of signaling such an error or that special
    cases keyword symbols in such a way as to eliminate the function and
    property-list cells.

    -- Scott

Symbolics Common Lisp relies heavily on the property lists of keywords.
Given that a keyword is "an indicator that means X in context Y",
it is right reasonable that context Y might want to hang properties off
of it to implement that.