time of evaluation

Should types defined via deftype and defstruct be entered into the type
structure at compile time as well as load/eval time?  It seems pretty
useless to declare things to be of a structure type if the compiler
doesn't recognize the structure name as a valid type specifier.  The
documentation for deftype/defstruct says nothing special about things
happening at compiletime, though, so I assume the usual defaults apply
and nothing happens until loadtime unless you wrap an eval-when around
it.  Seems kind of awkward.

Along similar lines, I assume one has to wrap an eval-when around
defstructs if one wishes to use #s syntax later on in the file to
create a constant structure, so that the constructor function required
for reading in the constant will be defined at compiletime.

-Sandra
-------