Function cells

    Date: Thu, 20 Feb 86 18:27 EST
    From: David C. Plummer <DCP@SCRC-QUABBIN.ARPA>

	Date: Wed, 19 Feb 86 15:40 EST
	From: Guy Steele <gls@THINK-AQUINAS.ARPA>

	I can report that much of the time I am very happy to have the two names
	spaces be distinct.  I get very unhappy whenever I find myself inventing
	functionals (functions that take other functions as arguments or return
	other functions as values) for various purposes.  For example, I have
	found it semantically convenient to do so in Connection Machine Lisp.
	In these situations I find the need for interpolated occurrences of
	"funcall" and "#'" extremely annoying.

    I read this last paragraph 3 times and am under the impression you
    change your mind on each sentence.  I'm really curious what you meant!

What I meant is: (a) much of the time I am happy; (b) the part of the time
I am not happy, it is in the following circumstances (trying to use functionals).
--Guy