[ART@THINK-AQUINAS.ARPA: Another reader macro]

    Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1986  10:42 EST
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    I'd like to see the combination #! be reserved for something more
    important and interesting than comment out a single expression.  The #|
    ... |# does this job perfectly well, except that you need to find the
    end of the thing you are commenting out: only one or two extra
    keystrokes in a decent editor.  I suppose that if doing this as a pure
    prefix were deemed useful, we could adopt the convention that the
    feature T is always present in all Common Lisps, so that #-T would do
    the right thing.

We typically use #+IGNORE for this, although personally I'm a big fan
of semicolon for comments.