Package Naming Conventions

I believe that the simplest method of naming packages so that conflicts
do not arise is to require every organization that produces Common LISP
software to prefix their packages with an official (registered)
organization name.  This seems unlikely.

Without such an agreement, we have to start coming up with special
cases.  In addition to USER and LISP, we invent a SYSTEM package.  Then
we start wondering about additional packages shipped with the base
system, such as an editor or debugger or whatever.  So maybe we say that
these packages must begin with SYSTEM-, or we say that they can have any
name.  Now independent organizations can't be sure they won't step all
over someone else's packages.  And so on.

I think we should either all agree that we will support a package naming
convention that someone devises, or we might as well stop talking about
naming conventions.

- Paul
------