IGNORE, warnings, and &stuff

    Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1986  23:19 EST
    Sender: FAHLMAN@C.CS.CMU.EDU
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

	Since &-stuff in the lambda list is already treated as magic, I propose
	adding a new lambda list keyword called &IGNORE.  Writing

	    (lambda (x &ignore y &ignore z) ...)

	should be equivalent to

	    (lambda (x g0001 y g0002 z)
	      (declare (ignore g0001 g0002))
	      ...)

    I really don't like this.  The other &-thingies are punctuation within
    the lambda list which separate the variables into groups; they are not
    stand-ins or place-holders for the variables themselves.

I agree.  In addition, you don't get the argument list documentation of
the names of the ignored variables.  But how about if

	    (lambda (x &ignore y &ignore z) ...)

was instead the same as

	    (lambda (x y z)
	      (declare (ignore y z))