(PROCLAIM '(IGNORE ...))

    Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1986  16:07 EST
    From: Scott E. Fahlman <Fahlman at C.CS.CMU.EDU>
    Sender: FAHLMAN at C.CS.CMU.EDU

    The lexically scoped IGNORE declaration seemed a much cleaner solution.
    Allowing global IGNORE proclamations seems a bit unclean to me, since
    it can have an effect on variables that come in from God-knows-where and
    that were never intended to be ignored.  On the other hand, this would
    not be disastrous -- it would result in a few spurious compiler warnings
    in a few odd cases, and it wouldn't be at all hard to see what went
    wrong.

Additionally, the package system offers some protection against this.
I don't think Kent was suggesting that (PROCLAIM '(IGNORE FNORX))
should cause ignorance of all symbols string-equal to "FNORX"!
Note the difference with Zetalisp, in which all variables STRING-equal
to IGNORE are "ignore"d.

	-- Richard