(PROCLAIM '(IGNORE ...))

Special treatment of IGNORE as a variable name was left out of the
language because a lot of people objected to having the language poke
holes in the namespace.  (However, we relented with T, NIL, and the
various &... symbols.)

The lexically scoped IGNORE declaration seemed a much cleaner solution.
Allowing global IGNORE proclamations seems a bit unclean to me, since
it can have an effect on variables that come in from God-knows-where and
that were never intended to be ignored.  On the other hand, this would
not be disastrous -- it would result in a few spurious compiler warnings
in a few odd cases, and it wouldn't be at all hard to see what went
wrong.

So I wouldn't object to a decision that (PROCLAIM '(IGNORE ...))
is legal.

-- Scott