editing a function definition

    Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1986  23:07 EDT
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    My own opinion (none of which is or should be in the Common Lisp spec)
    is that an Emacs-like editor ought to zap you over to the right place in
    the right file.

Indeed, this is what the traditional Lisp machine ED function does, and
it's similar to several facilities provided in time-sharing system
Lisps, such as LEDIT from MIT.

I think the paragraph as the beginning of the "Debugging Tools" chapter
needs some more-explicit text, explaining that the behavior of these
functions, unlike those in the rest of the manual, is NOT intended to be
fully specified by the Common Lisp definition; that they are only
conventions to try to help users get started in different CL programming
environments by providing some common names; and that portable programs
cannot depend on their behavior.  You can infer this from the existing
text, but I think a more explicit warning is warranted, since this is
such a departure from the philosopy of the rest of the definition of the
language.