Definition time macros

No doubt about it, one can develop a cleaner semantics for a language
without an interpreter.  Cleaner still is to require all of the code to
be presented at one time so that it can be compiled into a block and so
that everything can be checked statically -- none of this incremental
stuff.  There are already lots of languages like that, and I'd hate to
see Common Lisp become one of them.

OK, this exaggerates your position, but I think that expanding macros
just once, at "enclose time"  is a step in that direction.

-- Scott