Some easy ones (?)

    if you want simplicity, allowing duplicate names and just saying that
    the last one shadows all the rest, both for references & for
    declarations, would be the simplest rule.

By no conceivable stretch of the imagination (mine, anyway) is this rule
simpler than saying "it is an error".  I can't even figure out what you
mean by "the last one shadows all the rest for declarations", though I
could probably guess.  As I said earlier, we've got a matter of design
taste here and further discussion is probably not going to change any
minds.

-- Scott