FIXNUM considered useful

    Scott, I feel that the only point is to recognize explicitly in the spec
    and manual that using FIXNUM creates a real hazard that your program may
    not be portable...
    As long as it's clear what FIXNUM does mean and
    does not mean, then people can make a well-informed choice about whether
    to use it or not, and everything should be fine.  But in a language spec
    that is devoted to providing program portability, any language feature
    that has known non-portable aspects to it should be clearly marked as such.

I agree with this.  It's what I've said about this all along.  Too bad
the spec won't have red ink for such things, so nobody could claim they
missed it.

-- Scott