OPTIMIZE Declaration

It is true that #+ would do the job here, and that by using #+ we could
eliminate COMPILER-VARIABLE and just hide these things under OPTIMIZE.
(Some compiler variables have nothing to do with optimization, but
that's a minor point.)  I really hate the way #+ looks, and would like
to avoid its use in Common Lisp wherever possible, even if that means
introducing a new construct or two.  However, I recognize that this is
an irrational hangup of mine, probably the result of all the
over-conditionalized and under-documented Maclisp code I have had to
wade through in the last few years.  If most of the group wants to go
with #+ for this use, I have no real objection, though the separate
COMPILER-VARIABLE form looks a lot better to me.