Re: Case

  Since I brought this whole thing up, perhaps you will permit me the last
word.  I think that the outcome of the vote among the implementors is clear,
they like the environment they work in and they feel that everyone should
'enjoy' it.   I anticipated the result of this vote in my poll and the
feelings of the Unix 'users' is clear:
-------
 2) If a case-insensitive Common Lisp was the only lisp available on your
    machine would you:

    a) use it without complaint about the case-insensitivity

    b) ask the person in charge of Common Lisp at your site to add a switch
       to disable the code that maps all characters to the same case, thus
       making it possible for each user to make Common Lisp case-sensitive.

    a: 3,8,9,11,12,13,16,25,26,30,34,46
    b: 1,4,6,7,10,14,18,19,21,24,27,31,33,35,36,37,38,40,41,42,43,45,47,48

    summary: a: 12/36 = 33%     b: 24/36 = 67%
-------

  Should Vax common lisp ever reach the Unix world, it is clear that people
will immediately add case-sensitivity as an option.  There will then be
programs that work in Unix Common Lisp (perhaps called Truly Common Lisp),
but not in Common Lisp simply because of the case problems.  Maybe then
would be a good time to bring this issue up again.