" macro character

Hi!

On page 347 of CLtL, it says that the double quote character
accumulates characters until another double quote is seen.  "An
exception to this occurs if a \single escape/ character is seen; ..."

If I want to write my function which handles " in Common-Lisp itself,
how can my handler tell when a character it's read is a single escape
character?  It would have to be able to look into the readtable.  If
there are ways to look inside readtables, I've missed them...

          Thanks!

                Stever