Re: synonym streams..

   I agree with John that making it an error to close an active stream
of any sort is a mistake, since the closing code may have picked up
the stream anywhere and not know its nature.

   What are the arguments against CLOSE closing the actual stream passed
to it, leaving any underlying streams alone?  The only one I can think
of is the desire to close those underlying streams as well, which indicates
a potential need for a mechanism to recover embedded streams.

	-- Rich
-------