close on synonym streams, etc

I would think that it would be legal to close a synonym stream,
broadcast stream, etc., but that this close would affect only the
synonym stream, as opposed to the stream it points to.  I could conceive
of implementations where buffering is done in each stream.  In that
case, it might be a good idea to close a synonym or broadcast stream, in
order to make sure that any buffered characters are taken care of and
any cleanup is done. It should be an error to do any I/O operation on a
stream that has been closed.  If you intend to outlaw close on one
of these composite streams, then you should mention this fact clearly
where synonym and broadcast streams are defined, and note that this
means that they must be implemented in such a way that a close is not
required when you are finished using them.
-------