side comment

    Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1986  23:32 EST
    From: Rob MacLachlan <RAM@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

					 Unless you have a better example,
    what you are really demonstrating is the horrible lossage in the
    definition of specialized array types.

Side comment: This is what happens when experienced, well-intentioned
Lisp experts decide to put an untested new idea into a language
standard.  In many, perhaps most, cases where we put in new ideas that
had not been tested in "production" circumstances, we got nasty
surprises much later.  This is a fine thing to happen in a growing Lisp
implementation, but not a fine thing to happen in a stable Lisp
standard.