Lexical globals

I am unable to work out how to declare LEXICAL, GLOBAL variables;  DEFVAR
makes special variables -- what I am looking for is a variable which will
obscured by another declaration in say, a LET construct.  Am I missing
something obvious, or is common-lisp (which is I understand 'normally'
lexical) missing this concept, which would equate to STATICS in other
block-structured lexical languages such as BCPL and pascal-family languages?

-------