More FORMAT

    Date: Tue, 19 May 87 13:47:25 PDT
    From: Richard Berman <berman@vaxa.isi.edu>
    (setq x (make-array 10 :element-type 'string-char :fill-pointer 0))

    (format x "test")

    X => "test"

    I can not find any reference that indicates a string may be used as a stream.

Look harder, it's right at the top of page 386.  It's not being used as a stream,
it's being used as a format destination.

    One of these implementations even violates this further, by extending X if it
    goes beyond 10 characters.  I can find absolutely nothing to allow this, as it
    is not :adjustable.

In some implementations all arrays are adjustable even if you didn't explicitly
ask for an adjustable array in make-array.