Re: &REST

    Date: Thu, 14 May 87 14:19:29 PDT
    From: edsel!bhopal!jonl@navajo.stanford.edu (Jon L White)

    But the kinds of folks who have tolerated the bug which Dan Wienreb so
    gloriously announced are not entirely stupid.  There is a market, at
    least amongst some systems programmers who use lisp, to get the kind of
    "last-bit tweaking" performance that a stack-allocated &rest list would
    afford.  Lucid's product will shortly be giving the user access to some
    of the underlying primitives which permit dynamic-extent consing (the
    3600's "stack list" consing is one such example).

In fact, we use stack allocated &REST lists exclusively.  We tried using heap
allocated &REST lists and found that it significantly impaired the performance of at
least one large system.  I think lisp vendors should be encouraged to provide this
sort of feature.

-[Shane]->