Re: *REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*

  Date: Fri, 9 Oct 87 10:50:32 MDT
  From: sandra%orion@cs.utah.edu (Sandra J Loosemore)

  If it were up to me, I'd like to see a variable named something like
  *REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*, which specifies where REQUIRE should look
  for modules if you don't give an explicit pathname.

Yes!  To flesh out the specification:

*REQUIRE-PATHNAME-DEFAULTS*   [Variable]

A pathname or list of pathnames searched in order by REQUIRE when no
pathname is explicitly specified.

By allowing lists of pathnames we allow multiple "library" directories
as well as multiple file types.  For example, a user could push his own
directory on to the standard path as follows:

(setq *require-pathname-defaults*
  (list*
   (make-pathname :directory "~/lisp" :type "lisp")
   (make-pathname :directory "~/lisp" :type "fasl")
   *require-pathname-defaults*))