Industrial-strength Lisp?

At the end of this message, I've reproduced a portion of an interchange
taking place on the mailing list scheme@mc.lcs.mit.edu.  The topic is a
somewhat broad argument centered around clarity of some publicly-available
code, and in general I can't get exicted about such issues (one man's
clarity and elegance is another man's poison).

However, I find it verrry interesting that this publicly-available Scheme
implementation has grown in size to rival Common Lisp.  At least some of
the original fathers of Scheme recognize that it is a dialect of Lisp
not all that different from Common Lisp; their attraction to it was that
it was succinctly defined, and not ossified by the needs of productization,
so it was a choice vehicle for programming language research (indeed, this
justification was part of Lisp's glory for over 20 years).

But I have often claimed that as soon as you develop a language system
(like Lisp, Prolog, or Smalltalk) to the point of really being "industrial
quality", it will have grown so cancerously as to have lost virtually all
its original pristine beauty (** but see footnote below).   Conventional
languages like C/FORTRAN/ADA/PASCAL/MODULA don't seem to have this property
because, I think, there is generally an "off line" approach to programming
in them; in fact, the correlate of an "Industrial Strength" Common Lisp is
more likely C+Unix(tm) rather than just C alone.  ZetaLisp exhibits this
operating-system character much more so than Common Lisp (one of whose
goals was to be a portable language).

-- JonL --