   Date: Fri, 8 Apr 88 12:58:57 PDT
   From: James Rice <Rice@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>

   Sorry to all of you who might have been confused by my
   message.  I was not thinking explicitly of Scheme's
   Letrec.  I was thinking of a general recursive let
   construct, particularly for non-function objects, though
   I see no reason why such a construct could not be used
   for function objects too.

See, for example, the paper by F. Lockwood Morris and Jerald S. Schwarz,
"Computing Cyclic List Structures" in the Proceedings of the 1980 Lisp
Conference (which has been reprinted by ACM).