&REST args

    Date:     Wed, 16 Mar 88 15:35:28 PST
    From:     Jeff Barnett <jbarnett@nrtc.northrop.com>

    In regards to the properties of &REST arguments:  There may be a way to
    have our cake and eat it too given that CL has a declaration mechanism
    in place already and optimization hints are considered first class citizens.
    I propose an anology to the SYS:DOWNWARD-FUNCTION and SYS:DOWNWARD-FUNARG
    decls in the Symbolics implementations.  In the function  with the &REST arg,
    that arg could be declared DOWNWARD meaning that pointers to it and top-level

Lucid uses the declaration DYNAMIC-EXTENT for this purpose.

-[Shane]->