SCALE-FLOAT and friends

    Date: 27 October 1982 0310-EDT (Wednesday)
    From: Guy.Steele at CMU-10A
    To: common-lisp at SU-AI
    Subject: SCALE-FLOAT and friends

    It was my brain-damage that caused the specification of FLOAT-FRACTION
    as returning a number between 1/b (inclusive) and 1 (inclusive).
    The latter word obviously should have been "exclusive".  Were both
    bounds inclusive, I would have mentioned the qualifier only once.
    I will make appropriate amends.

I think you're wrong here.  In some floating-point formats, 2's-complement
for instance, the magnitude of the fraction can take on both endpoint
values.  Better to leave it inclusive than to require an implementation
to put in special hair to avoid returning 1.