backquote

re: However, in implementations (such as the Symbolics implementation) which
    support ",,@" as meaning "map , across the result of the first result, I
    might sometimes write: [... a little test case ...]

Lucid Common Lisp supports ",,@" as meaning just exactly what CLtL pages
349-350 describe it to be.  And indeed LCL comes up the same results for
your little test case.

Yes, I too have carped a bit about having yet another inscrutable meta-
language for describing backquote [I think that is the source of DonC's
complaint -- it's hard to understand CLtL pp349-50].  But Guy Steele has
always managed to convince me that, for any given example, the rules on
pp349-50 are consistent with the generally perceived notion of how
backquote should work.  [By the bye, ask Quux about his favorite
little doubly-nested backquote example; as far as I know, it doesn't
even parse in the Genera reader.]

-- JonL --