MISMATCH/MAXPREFIX/MAXSUFFIX

Having implemented these losers several times (as the manual changed in
creative ways), I'd be overjoyed to see them flushed forever.  Leonard Zubkoff
told me that he suggested them to Guy as functions one might use in an editor's
redisplay.  The editor Rob MacLachlan and I are writing have not used these
things at all -- the amount of time it takes to decide which function with
which keywords to use, and what the value returned means is far greater than
the time it takes to write a loop that does exactly the right thing (but this
is a different problem).  I can understand REMOVE, DELETE, MEMBER, and REDUCE
being generic sequence functions, but if MAXPREFIX and MAXSUFFIX aren't
flushed, perhaps they should be made into string-only functions.