[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
DEFCONSTANT and EQ
- To: Bernard S. Greenberg <BSG%SCRC-TENEX@MIT-MC>
- Subject: DEFCONSTANT and EQ
- From: Scott E. Fahlman <Fahlman@CMU-CS-C>
- Date: Sun, 12 Jun 1983 20:54:00 -0000
- Cc: common-lisp%SU-AI@SU-DSN
- In-reply-to: Msg of 12 Jun 1983 16:31-EDT from Bernard S. Greenberg <BSG%SCRC-TENEX at MIT-MC>
What about "strings"? Can the compiler fail to preserve eqness
of a defconstanted string?
I think the answer is NO, the compiler cannot do replacemnt of constant
strings in such a way as to destroy EQ-ness. If you allow this for
strings, you pretty much have to allow it for every sequence, including
lists, and we're back to symbol-macros again.