question about REQUIRE

    Date:  3 May 1984 0806-PDT
    From: AS%hp-labs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

    Does REQUIRE get evaluated by default by the compiler?  The Common Lisp manual
    does not say that it does, but I find it difficult to understand how the
    package system example could work otherwise.  I would appreciate any
    clarification you could make.  Thank you.

I'm not sure why you're asking me, but I agree that it would be senseless for
the compiler of files not to evaluate at compile time any REQUIRE form that
it comes across at top level.  That's what our implementation does.