I'm the cretin

I agree that the code font in the CL manual is terrible.  However,
everything else the typesetter had to offer me was worse.  We spent
about a month just trying to cobble together pieces of several fonts
that didn't look too terrible together and between them provided the
full printing ASCII character set in a fixed-width form.  Commercial
typesetters simply are not used to printing programs; there are very
few good-looking fixed-pitch fonts.  Indeed, there are very few fixed-pitch
fonts, and most of them are purposely designed to look "computerish".
Yuck.
--Guy