What's in *FEATURES*?

It seems to me that, since *FEATURES* is a "global" variable, the items
in the list should not be package-specific.  The features should pertain
to the LISP system as a whole, specifying things which parameterize the
system.

If a package wants to itemize features within it, that should be done
with something inside the package (special variable or function).
Furthermore, even the existence of a package isn't a feature, but rather
is noted by the presence of its name in *MODULES*.  It's not even
clear to me that *FEATURES* isn't a constant, but that might be a little
radical.

In light of my opinion, features can only be simple symbols, all present
in the LISP package.  Right?

- Paul