time of evaluation

    Date: Wed, 15 Jan 86 09:11 EST
    From: Bernard S. Greenberg <BSG at SCRC-STONY-BROOK.ARPA>
    To:   Soley at MIT-MC.ARPA, LOOSEMORE at UTAH-20.ARPA,
          common-lisp at SU-AI.ARPA
    Re:   time of evaluation

        Date: Tue, 14 Jan 86 15:17 EST
        From: Soley@MIT-MC.ARPA

    	Date: Mon 13 Jan 86 18:08:50-MST
    	From: SANDRA <LOOSEMORE@UTAH-20.ARPA>
    	Subject: time of evaluation
    	To: common-lisp@SU-AI.ARPA

    	Should types defined via deftype and defstruct be entered into the type
    	structure at compile time as well as load/eval time?

    This is completely unclear.  Consider an incompatible change
    to a defstruct used by the compiler.  Consider that one of
    the accessor functions is passed as a funarg by the compiler.
    Doing this would break the compiler.  It has to do something
    a lot more subtle, that limits its effects to functions being
    compiled in the same file.

I had this exact problem with the GCLisp compiler, as a matter of fact.
HOWEVER, I think the language should be designed more for the user
than the compiler writer, who we assume has more smarts.

	-- Richard