note on portability

 More than simple assertions of portability is necessary to make common
lisp common.  To paraphrase Larry Masinter, I don't believe in portability
in the absence of instances of porting.  As this applies to common lisp,
I don't believe common lisp code will really be portable unless substantial
amounts of code are actually shared among the implementations.  Such
shared code will allow minor quirks in the primitives to be discovered and
removed, and also assure that hairy higher level features are not subtly
different from one implementation to the next.

 The LOOPS implementation is an ideal candidate to be developed
and ported.  Symbolics will surely build and document it - and the
rest of the implementors can ignore it until the code drops from the sky.
-------