Access to documentation strings

    Date: Thursday, 26 August 1982  21:17-EDT
    From: Scott E. Fahlman <Fahlman at Cmu-20c>

    ... If we want anything of this sort, the convention should be that the
    first SENTENCE (normal English syntax) is an overview.  My preference
    would be to forget this whole overview business -- I don't see much use
    for it.
-----
Experience with Teco/Emacs shows that these two types of documentation are
tremendously useful to users. I have to say, though, that I've been bothered
on innumerable occasions by the restriction of its being a one-liner.
Exceptions always come up. The same would happen with a one-sentence
restriction only worse because finding the end of a sentence is a natural
language task in some cases. I really think having a mechanism that its
structure is necessary to make the thing useful.