Where Pure Common Lisp lives

    Date: Fri, 23 May 1986  10:33 EDT
    From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    I'm not wedded to the name "LOCAL", but if the place you go to get the
    default good environment on your machine is not "LISP", it has to be
    some standard package name.  Maybe "EXTENDED", or whatever.  This could
    be set up as a nickname for "SCL" or "DEC'S-PROPRIETARY-VAX-EXTENSIONS"
    or whatever, but it should be a uniform place on each machien so users
    don't have to hunt for it.

If you want to make a package that uses the same exported symbols as the
user package, you do (MAKE-PACKAGE "MY-VERY-OWN-PACKAGE"
				   :USE (PACKAGE-USE-LIST (PACKAGE "USER"))).
I don't see any reason why we need to add a new language feature that
duplicates this.  I agree completely with the people who say that the default
for :USE in MAKE-PACKAGE should be the portable default, not the full
local extensions.