(declare (type fixnum ---)) considered etc.

    Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1986  14:28 EDT
    From: Rob MacLachlan <RAM@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

    I don't think we should have people who never use type declarations
    telling those of us who do what kind of declarations we can and can't
    use.  Nor do I think a company should change Common Lisp so that
    everyone has to buy their machines to run fast.

I don't think we should make language design issues on the basis of ad
hominem attacks.  A point is valid no matter who makes it.  Common Lisp
language design is made by virtue of reason, not attacks.  Furthermore,
nobody is proposing to change Common Lisp.

    I'm getting tired of this discussion.  Why doesn't everyone just admit
    we aren't going to get agreement on this issue.  The split seems to be
    drawn largely along special-hardware/standard-hardware lines, and
    neither community is going to go away.

This simply isn't true.  If I were only using standard-hardware
machines, I would still be quite concerned that a program that declared
something to be a "fixnum" might suddenly not port to another
standard-hardware machine if it had a different word size.

					    In any case, flushing the
    fixnum declaration is not one of the proposals we are supposed to be
    discussing.  If it were, it would be unlikely to pass, since under the
    criteria for changes, approval would have to be near-unanimous, which
    it isn't.

"Flushing the fixnum declaration"?  To quote the mail that you are
attacking: