Declaration before variable

        (DEFUN (STRING FOO) ((INTEGER X1 X2) (STRING S) (REAL Z))
          ...)

        I.e. anywhere a simple name can appear to introduce a new binding
        of a variable or name of function, a list of two elements can appear
        to both introduce the name and tell its type, including SPECIAL etc.
        Anywhere a sequence of names can appear, a list of more than two
        elements can appear, where the first element is the type and the
        remaining elements are names, thus ... (INTEGER X1 X2) ... has the
        same effect as ... (INTEGER X1) (INTEGER X2) ...

This idea has some merit, but in my view it is too radical a change to
consider now.  Keep this in mind for Common Lisp 2000.

-- Scott