Are strings adjustable arrays?

I have an application that does a lot of string hacking.  For
efficiency reasons, we'd like to mutate our strings rather than
creating new ones all the time.  It seems like strings which are
adjustable arrays with fill pointers are what we want.  I
gather from page 299 that, while strings MAY have fill pointers,
there is no mechanism for having them automatically created
that way.

Is that the intention, or is there actually some way to have
strings created with fill pointers?

	Stever